Variable File formats
||This database system was derived from the book by Al Stevens
and was heavily debugged and adapted into a high performance commercial system.
following is a list of the adaptations made to date:
- Bug corrections to B-tree indexing system when index collapses at two roadmarks:
- 1200 records
- 8100 records
- The indexing system is an inverted B-tree system. The problem with it lies in multiple
column listings. The method of storing the tree nodes was reversed for secondary keys.
- A new layer was added to cater for variable file formats. The system is currently
programmed for two file formats:
- C-string format
- dBase IV format, readable by dBase X utilities
- A File sharing layer was added to enable networked applications.
- Record locking facilities were added to enable multiple users updating records in the
- A new Record tracking facility was added to enable tracing changes to each record.
Each of the above facilities will be linked to its own page.
The following implementaions have been made for RDB.
Further research on this project is to port it to
- Microsoft Windows for simple relational databases
- Linux for research on unix methods